Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day





Spent most of my day with the kids putting flowers on relative's graves.

And to tell the truth, I wasn't quite interested to do it. My mother asked me to stop by my grandpa's, great grandpa's, and great great grandpa's and wife's graves today. I could come up with a few more enjoyable activities than searching for old graves and crypts.

And I was a bit grumpy today. Hubby is gone for a month or so doing his Army job. It seems he is always out of town doing his Army job during Memorial Day. I find that a bit ironic.

But then this morning I saw this picture.

This photo breaks my heart.
I feel it's almost inappropriate for me to put this photo on my blog. It's an intimate moment that I'm sure wasn't meant to be captured on film. But I'm also grateful for it.
It helped me remember that I have not sacrificed too much. If my Memorial Day is about missing Hubby and feeling a bit lonely that's ok. He has always come back safe and sound. The kids and I do miss him terribly when he's gone. But we also are comforted knowing he is doing important work. Work that most people wouldn't do nor most wives let their hubbies do.
(I must be crazy!)



So instead of staying grumpy and ungrateful I took the kids to get some cheeseburgers, bought some flowers and off to the cemeteries we went.

Thank goodness for a beautiful LA day. We spent hours searching for graves.

Those maps are not as easy to read as they look!



No comments:

Post a Comment